UK International Education Students Immigration Population
A number of changes to the UK’s immigration rules took effect on 1 October, with the most notable for international students and visitors being:
- Allowing some students to work as interns under the Tier 5 government-authorised exchange scheme (please see here for more);
- Making it easier for graduate entrepreneurs to switch into Tier 2, “one of the most important entry routes into the UK for skilled workers who are citizens of countries outside of the European Economic Area”;
- Allowing tourists and business visitors to do some study where it is not the main purpose of their visit;
- Expanding checks to ensure applicants for work and student visas are genuine, and that they intend to meet the conditions of leave they apply for;
- Setting new youth mobility scheme quotas for 2014; Hong Kong, for example, will be added to the list of participating countries and territories.